Friday, July 29, 2011

One week down in Central America

Hey I thought I'd give a quick report on our first week in Central America.  The camera cords are still somewhere in limbo so I have no way to post photos.  Those will be forthcoming someday.  Our first week here has been absolutely amazing.  El Salvador is a beautiful place.  Green as can be.  The weather has been perfect.  80's during the day and then once we're home for the evening it rains.  Then the next morning it's sunny again.  We spent the first week in a temporary house which was lovely but a little bit farther away from work than we wanted.  Our permanent house became available last night and we moved in.  The house is beautiful and it's a two minute drive to the embassy.  The embassy looks to become the center of our lives.  The campus is huge.  There is a running track that goes around inside the outer wall.  There is a pool, tennis courts, a playground, basketball courts and a soccer field.  Because El Salvador isn't exactly safe for kids to be cruising around there is a covered area where all the kids keep their bikes so any time they're at the embassy they can grab their bikes and cruise all over safely.  Our car is still somewhere between Miami and San Salvador.  Nobody seems to know where it is or when it will arrive.  Without it we're limited to taxis so we're feeling a little bit trapped.  Looking forward to it arriving so we can get out more. Traci spent the day today visiting the schools so that we can make a decision on which is the best for the kids.  Apparently they were both outstanding and I'm sure the kids will have quite the experience once school starts next month.  We went to church on Sunday.  It is a Spanish speaking ward but does have a handful of English speakers.  Everyone was very welcoming.  The kids didn't understand a word of Sacrament meeting.  They just colored and drew pictures.  So basically it was exactly the same result as an English speaking Sacrament meeting. Work is going well.  I'm pretty lost most of the time which is typical for any new job.  Hopefully I will shortly gain a better idea of what I'm doing and how to do it.  So far we love the Salvadoran people.  They are so sweet and helpful and welcoming.  As they are turned down for visas to the U.S. (which they often paid half a month's salary just for the interview) they don't get angry but often say thank you and god bless you.  To summarize, we're doing well and I think we're going to really love it here.  I'll post again when I have a way to post photos.  We love you all.

1 comment:

  1. So glad all is well and that you're enjoying your new experience. Looking forward to photos!

    ReplyDelete