Sunday, September 25, 2011

See Turtles, Sea Turtles

Yesterday we spent the afternoon cleaning up a beach in preparation for a sea turtle release.  A local charity cares for a strip of beach which is a long used area for sea turtles to lay their eggs.  The turtles return every year and this group fences off the area to keep predators out.  I was really proud of the kids as they worked really hard cleaning the beach.  Then they got to release the turles and we watched as they made their instinctive and surprisingly quick bolt for the ocean.
They say that they're very worried because each year fewer and fewer turtles are returning.  It was a great experience.
And I just loved this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Aaahhh! They're so little! I'm ridiculously jealous. I absolutely love sea turtles. All turtles, in fact. I have a collection of hand-made ones at home. But I would have LOVED to see something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traci says:

    They do it every year, let me know when you're ready to schedule your flight. The Browns are welcome any time.

    ReplyDelete