Christmas and New Years here are definitely a different experience. On Christmas Eve the kids wanted to sleep in sleeping bags in the living room so they could be as close as possible to the presents when they woke up the next morning. They understood well the doctrine that Santa can't come until kids are asleep so by about 10pm they were in their sleeping bags trying to fall asleep. Then the bombing started. For the next 3-4 hours the entire city shook. Imagine the most enthusiastic firework lovers and absolutely no restrictions on fireworks. They lived by the mantra of the louder the explosion the more fun you must be having. The kids got pretty scared laying in their sleeping bags. Finally we decided to embrace the experience and we went outside to be part of the action. Silent Night was not being sung anywhere in town. After a time it began to seem like an oddly appropriate demonstration of celebration for the night. Every knee shall bow and every tongue confess and the loudest noise display shall sound.....
At work December was a busy time. One thing that I've been surprised to have found myself doing is public affairs outreach. In a two weeks time I had to appear on 7 different radio shows and then make a second appearance on the Mujer a Mujer (woman to woman) television show, this time by myself. Way out of my comfort zone. Next month I will be going out to different cities as an election monitor to look for potential election fraud. It's all fun stuff that I never anticipated doing.
The kids are doing well in school. Vivian, last month received an award for Outstanding Citizenship. Abraham has singlehandedly introduced and converted the British school he attends to American Football. The entire fourth grade now plays it every recess and before Abe's arrival they hardly knew what it was. That kid will be a great missionary some day. Maggie just had her birthday, now a six year old. And Simon has been a walking accident (see photo below). Traci has been taking tennis lessons and is loving it. And based on the enthusiastic declarations of her spanish speaking teacher she apparently is the next Chris Everett.
This past weekend we were able to leave the country for the first time. We drove to Guatemala and had a wonderful time in Antigua. It is a remarkable and beautiful old city and best of all it is safe to walk around in so we thoroughly enjoyed the freedom of moving and milling around.
I'll post some pictures from the last few weeks. Most are from our trip to Guatemala. I apologize if it's too many.
![]() |
| I don't know if these are in the States, I'd never seen them before, but they're all over down here. The kids love 'em. This and the following photo were taken at the embassy Christmas party. |
![]() |
| All the kids have gotten pretty good. |
![]() |
| I once went to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert and the lead singer couldn't stop drinking long enough to sing. Maybe Simon has a singing career ahead of him. |
![]() |
| Blue and Maggie exhausted. |
![]() |
| The one sure way to always make Simon happy is to read him a book. Being with one of his siblings does it too. |
| So for years our kids have been timed out by putting their noses on the wall. Maggie was having a time out the other night when Simon decided that he too needed to be punished, really punished. |
| Just liked this picture |
| For Maggie's birthday she wanted to have a chocolate puppy party. Traci made more chocolate than was humanly possible to consume and yet somehow we managed. |
| Part of the fun on the trip to Guatemala was our hilarious fellow travellers. We were behind this bus for a few miles on a steep narrow winding road. Perhaps my favorite few miles of driving ever. |
| Who needs a horse trailer. We watched this horse lean into turns. You could almost see his thoughts saying "good grief". |
| We found a beautiful hotel in Antigua. Not a bad view. |
| Loved walking the cobblestone streets |
| The four best kids |
| I'm thinking this would be a great addition to the Larkin showroom. Traci really wanted to buy it and put it in the living room in front of our couch as our "coffin" table. |
| We also really enjoyed the cool evenings. It had been a while since any of us had worn a sweatshirt. |
| Most beautiful pool ever. |
| After a lot of walking. |
| We finally said we wanted a picture of just Traci and me. Didn't know until later that Maggie had snuck in. I think I like it this way. |





Heather and I also bought a wooden flute many years ago...probably from your friend's dad :)
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures...sad how fast your kids are growing up!
Dave, there can never be to many pictures! Helps it feel like you guys aren't so far away.
ReplyDeleteI think after Clif sees these pictures he and I will be making a trip down. It looks like a lot of fun!
You guys look great! I wish I had you all on the phone when I showed the pictures to the kids, there were so many question along with a lot of oooo's and awwww's.